Saturday, September 27, 2014

Google: Advocating Diversity

After reading an article by the New York Times about Google attempting to advocate gender diversity in their employee work force a series of thoughts ran through my mind. Why are they just now realizing their bias ways? What events led up to this realization? What do the superiors at Google feel about the subject? I decided to examine the article very closely in order to establish my further opinion.


First off, I would like to commend Google for their efforts to improve the diversity of their employees. It takes a lot of honor to admit your mistakes and strive for improvement. I am on Google's side, which is pro-diversity. I personally believe a job applicant should be judged by their skills (among other important information), steering away from the race and gender factor. As stated in the New York Times article, "Google's leaders say they are unhappy about the firm's poor gender diversity..." I'm glad that Google was one of the first to realize the situation. Since the statement released, a snowball effect in which companies that have the same predicament are eager to diversify their employees. Google has set an example and companies are joining the (positive) bandwagon.


Many statistics show that men are more likely to be hired than women. Especially in the tech industry men are the predominant gender working. Since the article focuses on Google, the New York Times states, "Over all, seven out of 10 people who work at Google are male." I am a strong believer that women should be equal to men humans should be equal to other humans. Throughout history I have learned women were often disregarded in society. They have fought for their rights and deserve to be treated equally. Although some rights were gained, some did not change. You would think that with our modern-day morals and principles that the discrimination would be eradicated. To be honest, these types of discrimination might never stop existing, but with every small step, we can set an example for the next generation.  
http://www.painetworks.com/photos/jw/jw6736.JPG

8 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion, that is, how women should be treated as humans. Throughout history, women have been working hard for multiple reasons. Google has taken a long time to address the problem, as you stated as a question. Honestly, I believe google wanted to publicize their ideas to improve their image among the other companies and cooperations against google. Of course, people would like the non-bias group rather than the bias group. Therefore, I also believe this is why other cooperations have tried to changed their ways as well. Id like to add how woman today has taken advantages that they gained in their workplaces and communities. Therefore, I agree that women should be treated equally as humans, but judged as their character and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I think. Why are people just now realizing the biases against women? Why was it even there to begin with? And people need to start viewing others as human beings not as a gender or a race or anything else. There really is no reason for discrimination to exist in this day and age but, sadly, I don't think it's going to go away for a really long time. Although I agree that Google set a good examples for other tech companies, I think their bias should never have existed and that what they did isn't going to have that much of an impact on the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I am in favor of pro-diversity. However, I'm going to have to agree with you on your claim that discrimination may never be fully eradicated. Though our society has made efforts to reduce the severity of racial and gender discrimination, it still exist today in some shape or form. Why do you think discrimination continues to be a conflict in our society?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in favor of pro-diversity as well! I think your post was very strong, I like the use of your underline and crossing out thing. And I like how you said that people should be hired because of their skills and not their race or gender, which is something I totally agree with and should be applied to not only the workplace but school as well! I also like how your conclusion is not too unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your statement of how a job applicant should be chosen based on their skills, instead of their gender/race, and how we are all human. I believe that jobs should stop worrying about what gender a person is, and rather start focusing on the quality of their products instead. In the modern world, this should not even be an issue anymore, with all the advanced technology we have now days, but apparently that is not the case. Discrimination will still exist in our society, as there will always be people who view one group of people over the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much agree with your statement "First off, I would like to commend Google for their efforts to improve the diversity of their employees." Although this was originally a very simple introduction to your main argument, you touch on a very key point when integrating diversity. Google is a very successful company, their main priority should be to do their original job of being a tech company.
    Change takes time, and they are working towards a more diverse workplace, but we cannot expect them to change their diversity at the snap of our fingers, if their pain priority as a company was to be some kind of social experiment or to be the most politically correct, then is would be perfectly fine, but they aren't. They're a tech company. Trying to do their job to reach their consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Brandon, I really like the points that you have brought up. Thank you for providing us with quotes from the article to reassure me about your opinion. I completely agree with you and how Google should be pro diversity, and race/ gender shouldn't be a factor in employment. I feel that it was important to bring up the point that women have been disregarded throughout history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how your first paragraph was filled with questions. They actually made me think why is our society like this. I also agree that people should be judged off of skill and capability, nothing else. You brought up parts from history that explained your opinion even further. At the end, you left it at a hopeful thought of saying, "we can set an example for the next generation." This really tied your whole argument together.

    ReplyDelete