Thursday, October 16, 2014

Lights, Camera, Action: The Basic Necessities to Becoming an Actor!

Acting has always been a part of my life. I've watched hundreds of movies growing up. I idolized the work of Will Smith, Denzel Washington, and many others. At the age of six I began to take acting classes. Three years ago I decided to take my hobby and turn it into a profession. The first year was tough as I had some struggle, but I have worked a few times. I can't release my stage name, but I have worked in some commercials you may have seen. With my personal experiences I can help you start your acting career. Sorry to all the thespians, because I'm focusing on the film, TV, and commercial aspect of acting.

Step 1: Take acting classes!

If you want to be an actor you definitely need classes in order to keep yourself in great condition. However, there are a few examples of famous actors who had never taken an acting class, yet were discovered. For example, Jennifer Lawrence was discovered while walking with her mom in New York City. The chances of being discovered without actually acting is highly unlikely. Please, take some classes. There are many types of acting courses. Some are
  • Method 
  • Audition
  • Commercial
  • Scene study
  • On-camera
  • Cold reading
  • Improvisation
  • Vocal
among others. There are a lot of classes, all of them can help you in some way. 

Step 2: Get headshots!

Headshots are a marketing tool that is very necessary in an actor's career. It is an 8 x 10 photo that displays who you are and your look. It is the first thing that a casting director sees as you audition. What your headshot looks like can mean callback or rejection. Although they can be pricey it is recommended to get headshots at a professional photographer. I don't mean the department store photos or your uncle who just got a new camera, a professional that specializes in acting headshots. Typically headshots can cost anywhere from $200-$1,000+. You can start with the cheaper, but I recommend increasing the quality (and price) of the headshot as you rise through the ranks. A great resource to find your next headshots is through Reproductions.

Optional to some: Get your entertainment work permit!

In some states, like the major acting states of California and New York, minors under the age of 18 need something called the entertainment work permit. It is necessary so that you can work on bigger picture films and commercials. A link to all the details will be here. The process of getting the permit can be tiresome, like it was for me. You need three things: a report card, your doctor to fill out a physical, and your school to fill out another sheet. It is not an ordinary work permit, because the entertainment industry is a whole different thing. At this stage I was already anxious to get my career started and the long waits did not help. Don't worry, you're almost there. 

Step 3: Get an agent/Sign up on casting websites!

For some getting an agent is really hard. For others it is easy to attract many people willing to market them. I can't speak on behalf of the agents, because I never had one. What I can tell you is to avoid scams. An acting agent should never tell you where to take classes, get headshots, or take money upfront. An agent will only get paid when you get paid, 20% to be exact. Personally I use casting websites, and will continue until I get an agent. Some of the ones I use are Backstage, LA Casting, and Actors Access. However, it can be pricey to maintain these prices combined, but included with these websites you get resources and can apply to jobs as you go. 


I hope this article helped those of you confused where you stand as an actor. May you be successful in your career! Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! When I was 4, I was a minor character in a small school play at my private school in North Park. As I got older, my passion for acting and dancing grew. I stared in my first play when I was 8 in Peter Pan. However, the passion died out when I moved to a public school at age 9. Although I continued dancing for a total of 10 years, my passion for acting never came back. These steps are very useful for those who have a continuing passion for acting. The tips about the scams and the realistic prices helped. I hope your acting career goes far and you are very successful! Good luck and thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I'm curious why you can't tell us your stage name. I can't wait to tell people that I knew you back when...

    ReplyDelete