Monday, December 15, 2014

Rough Day...

Ah, December 15th. The first day of a new week. However, this wasn't your ordinary week. This was the last week before we left for winter break. While others frantically completed their homework to hold their grade over the holidays, I decided to take the week optimistically. The results, in the end, did not benefit me.


The first task on my list was to wake up at my usual time (4:15am) to allow X amount of minutes per task in my daily routine. At my usual pace, I am able to leave my home in the Ranch Bernardo area by 6:45am and enjoy a relaxing 15-20 minute car ride to school. The problem, however, was that I awoke at 6:00am. I was left 45 minutes to do everything before leaving in order to arrive on time. I guess the world decided to test how I react under pressure.


Fast forward to school. I survived my first three periods in the subjects math, honors Spanish, and english; which is a rare occasion, because I am often worn out after first period. What's next, you ask? Oh no, AP World History. Just the thought makes me flinch. The only thing that keeps me from falling asleep is the amount of friends I have in that class. Anyway, maybe 25 minutes in we're taking notes. An easy day, really. One thing you must know about that class, everyone talks. There isn't a day that the class could resemble anything of a library, in there it's a zoo. Back on topic. While we're taking notes my friend mumbles something (appropriate and) funny. I laugh. Then, with supersonic hearing my teacher pinpoints the source of laughter out of everyone talking and looks me dead in the eye. "Get out". I assume he's joking, because he often is a clown. I laugh, but that soon turns into a nervousness. His face is stern, not a smirk or anything resembling that nature. I don't understand anything that just happened, but I get out. I wasn't even remotely mad, just really confused. What's that term my 8th grade history teacher taught me? Salutary neglect. I wasn't doing anything wrong. After class goes on I retrieve my things inside and leave. I missed out on 11 slides of notes that are necessary for the homework. Maybe my laugh offended him? I'm sorry? These thoughts run through my head the whole lunch period.


After lunch I have weights class. Instead of the ordinary PE I have access to equipment similar to the ones in my gym. This is my outlet to remove the stress of the homework load and get my daily exercise. Anyway after a great workout I returned to the locker rooms to retrieve my bags. Unfortunately my locker somehow became stuck. With the time counting down to where we have to go to our next period, I rushed to my coach's office to seek assistance. He spent the time chastising me for getting it stuck. After he hit my locker a couple times with a mallet. "Welp, that's all I can do". He doesn't realize that I kinda need some stuff in order to work the next period. Thanks, coach. By the time coach left the bell rang already. I somehow channeled my inner Hulk and opened the locker.


Today was rough, but now I realized a few things...
-Although I didn't have time to do everything I needed, I still arrived to school on time
-Although my stuff was stuck I was able to get it back
-Although I was late to class my teacher was understanding of the situation
and as for the incident in history...just brush it off and move on.


I repeat, today was a rough day. However, in the end we have to stay optimistic. There are certain things in life we can't control, but we have to make the most of it. I spent the whole post complaining of events throughout the day, but in the end everything turned out okay and I learned a lesson.




1 comment:

  1. I think your post has a good message. We all have rough days and I think your post is a great example of how we should respond to them. Optimism and seeing the bright side of things is a great way to approach situations and will relieve some of the worry that lingers after a tough day.

    ReplyDelete